Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader {II}

"And she never could remember; and ever since that day what Lucy means by a good story is a story which reminds her of the forgotten story in the Magician's Book."
This reminds me of what Lewis said in The Weight of Glory:
"The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing... For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited."

When Lucy saw Aslan,
"Her face lit up till, for a moment (but of course she didn't know it), she looked almost as beautiful as that other Lucy in the picture." 
I love how Lucy is most beautiful when she sees Aslan {Christ}

Aslan has to keep his own rules.

I wondered at the meaning of the Dufflepods. I think this line about them, spoken by the Magician, gives some insight:
"Sometimes, perhaps, I am a little impatient, waiting for the day when they can be governed by wisdom instead of this rough magic."
Aslan cannot show himself to them because it would frighten them. They are not yet ready for him.

I also think it's interesting that the Magician told the Duffers to do something that would be helpful to them, but they refused and wanted to do it their own way and not be told what to do. I wonder how often I have that knee-jerk reaction and want to do things my own way and reject being told to do something that would make me happy.

I think the Duffers view of the Magician -
"One minute they talk as if I ran everything and overheard everything and was extremely dangerous. The next moment they think they can take me in by tricks that a baby would see through - bless them!"
 - is how we sometimes view God.

"How are we to know you're a friend?"
"You can't know," said the girl. "You can only believe or not."
The live coal being placed in the Old Man's mouth is exactly what happens to the prophet Isaiah.
The birds that land on the table and eat all the food sort of remind me of Harpies from Greek Mythology... only good, instead of bad. They also remind me of the seraphim from the book of Isaiah.
"In our world," said Eustace, "a star is a huge ball of flaming gas."
"Even in your world, my son, that is not what a star is but only what it is made of."
Reepicheep is an excellent example of the Christian journeyer, determined to get to the Lord's Kingdom or die trying.
"My owns plans are made. While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise and Peepiceek will be head of the talking mice in Narnia."
 The man who stayed behind "never could bear mice" I think because it reminded him of his cowardice and regret - just as we don't like to be reminded of our shortcomings and sins.

"Please, Lamb," said Lucy, "is this the way to Aslan's country?"
"Not for you," said the Lamb. "For you the door into Aslan's country is from your own world."
"What!" said Edmund. "Is there a way into Aslan's country from our world too?"
"There is a way into my country from all the worlds," said the Lamb; but as he spoke his snowy white flushed into tawny gold and his size changed and he was Aslan himself, towering above them and scattering light from his mane.
"Oh, Aslan," said Lucy. "Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?"
"I shall be telling you all the time," said Aslan. "But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder. And now come; I will open the door in the sky and send you to your own land."
"Please, Aslan," said Lucy. "Before we go, will you tell us when we can come back to Narnia again? Please. And oh, do, do, do make it soon." '
"Dearest," said Aslan very gently, "you and your brother will never come balk to Narnia."
"Oh, Aslan!!" said Edmund and Lucy both together in despairing voices.
"You are too old, children," said Aslan, "and you must begin to come close to your own world now."
"It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
"But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
"Are are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."

I LOVE THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA. Read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader here!

No comments:

Post a Comment